Teen’s family launches lawsuit

The parents and family of Alex Gillespie, who was struck and killed by a TTC bus on August 20, 2010, are hoping a lawsuit they’re bringing against the TTC and the Toronto Police Service will bring about change in both organizations.

Bill Gillespie, Alex’s mother Kathryn Wright, and his siblings Mark, Ian and Kate Gillespie are named in the suit, filed late last month in Ontario Superior Court. The defendants are named as the Toronto Police Services Board and Toronto Transit Commission, Gary Steadman (the driver of the bus). The defendants have until late June to respond to the suit.

Wright, a lawyer, and Bill Gillespie, a journalist, provided a number of documents to the media, which they gained through Freedom Of Information requests. The documents are from the TTC; the Toronto Police Service has not yet responded to the FOI requests, according to Alex’s father.

“They’re a small fraction of what we actually asked for, but they tell us a lot,” said Gillespie.

The tragedy began with a Facebook posting about a party to be held at Woodbine Beach. The party was not an official permitted event, but according to correspondence between Wright and police, provided by Gillespie, 55 Division’s Community Response Unit expected a large number of attendees, since over 3,800 people had indicated on Facebook they would be attending.

At about 10 p.m., police – including officers on foot, in vehicles, on bicycles and on horseback – began to break up the party. In the ensuing confusion, thousands of people headed towards Lakeshore Boulevard, the only route away from Woodbine Beach.

Meanwhile, according to TTC documentation acquired by Gillespie and Wright, at least one bus driver on the 92 Woodbine South route had already requested extra buses, due to the large numbers of transit riders heading to the beach. No extra buses were dispatched. At 10:13, bus number 7794 left the loop at the Ashbridges Bay parking lot with a full load. The bus accelerated, and moved into the passing lane. At 10:14, with the bus at a speed of 57.6 km/h, Alex attempted to cross Lakeshore Boulevard, and was hit by the bus.

Gillespie believes the chaos caused by large amounts of party-goers being told to leave Woodbine Beach could have been handled in a more organized fashion, one that would not have resulted in Alex’s death.

“They have no place to go except across Lakeshore, and you could anticipate that it would be impossible for 3,800 teenagers to line up at two crosswalks and wait their turn when the light is probably green for about 10 seconds,” he said. “There were no police, traffic police, any police, on Lakeshore making sure that kids could exit the area safely as they were being told to do. That is incomprehensible to us.”

Allegations listed in the $2 million lawsuit include excessive speed on the part of the bus driver, particularly considering the amount of people crossing and even standing in the middle of the road; ignored calls for more buses from drivers on route 92; improper training and insufficient staffing at TTC central command; lack of traffic control and exit planning on the part of police; failure of police to notify the TTC of the event or the shutting down of the event; and that the police accident investigation didn’t include all the available evidence.

Gillespie said while he wishes Alex hadn’t run across the road, the other factors that created the situation should not have happened.

“They could have shut this thing down at 5 o’clock. They could have announced the day before, because they certainly knew it was going to happen the day before, if not even before that. They could have told all the kids ‘this is not happening.’ Why did they wait til 10 o’clock at night when it was dark?,” he asked.

While there is a dollar amount on the lawsuit, Gillespie said it’s not about money; the amount is set simply to make sure the suit is taken seriously.

“You can’t put a value on our son’s life. Is it worth $100 million? Is it worth $100,000? It’s kind of a ridiculous question, you simply pick numbers. It just happens to be the way the legal system works, if you’re going to launch a suit you have to attach a cash value to it,” he said.

Gillespie said because of his journalism background and Wright’s job as a lawyer, they felt a greater obligation to seek out answers and try to bring about change. He’d like to see changes to how both organizations operate, including more training and better staffing at the TTC, and more training and operating procedure improvements for the police.

“If some of those things happen and we can see some fundamental changes into these aspects of how these two organizations operate, that will be the best outcome we can hope for,” he said. “The one thing that we will not put up with is that what happened remains a secret.”

Gillespie also pointed out that Alex was only at the party for 20 minutes before it was broken up. A toxicology report showed that the youth was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol when he ran across Lakeshore; it was simply a bad decision, with tragic consequences.

“Alex was a Beach kid. He grew up in the Beaches…we don’t want this to happen to another Beach kid. We don’t want this to happen to any kid,” said Gillespie. “He wasn’t doing anything that was any different that night than kids in the Beaches always do.”

Was this article informative? Become a Beach Metro Community News Supporter today! For 50 years, we have worked hard to be the eyes and ears in your community, inform you of upcoming events, and let you know what and who is making a difference. We cover the big stories as well as the little things that often matter the most. CLICK HERE to support your Beach Metro Community News!


It was sad reading this article but not at all surprising.

I live on Sarah Ashbridge Ave. 5-years ago my girlfriend’s daughter had a small party. It turned into a home invasion with surprising speed. I was in the basement with my 20 year old son and some of his friends and I heard the clomping of many feet upstairs. About 30 18 year-old boys had appeared out of nowhere.

I asked them to leave but they wouldn’t. I aggressively told them to leave and they wouldn’t. My son and his friends barricaded the stairs going up and down to quarantine the problem to the main floor. Soon several hundred teens had shown up and were milling around at the north and south ends of the street and outside the house. A lot of the kids were doing drugs in the house and drinking games were getting out of control.

There was a very large potential for violence and we called 911 several times over a two hour period. My neighbours called 911. The police couldn’t be bothered. Eventually we physically forced the teens outside one room at a time. It was lucky I had 4 or 5 20 year olds on my side or I would have been screwed: it was very tense and we were close to violent confrontation. Once we pushed them outside they rampaged in the backyard throwing beer bottles into neighbour’s yards. We finally forced them off the property into the back lane.

We heard that someone had been knifed in the back lane. We called the police again. This time they came and broke things up. It turned out nobody had been knifed but there was lots of damage.

One of the police offices, too lazy even to get out of his cruiser, told me any calls about damages would be redirected to me personally. I didn’t say anything and I won’t tell you what came to mind.

It’s hard to have respect for the Toronto police department. It’s no surprise that a child has ended up dying in the Beaches. The police have a long history here of not bothering. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are dozens of stories like mine out there.

I’d be happy to go to court and tell this story if it would help.



Click here for our commenting guidelines.

Leave a Reply