It has been a year of major changes around Beach Metro News. Our former editor retired, we hired a new editor who also happened to be our former photographer. And now Dianne Marquardt, the Advertising Manager here for the past 29 years has decided the time has come to concentrate on deadlines other than the paper’s. On her last official day, I asked if she could spare five minutes. She agreed.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “It’s not technically in the Beach, but I love to go to Rosetta McClain Gardens. I like the atmosphere there… and the flowers. I don’t have a backyard, so it’s nice to see the flowers there.”
2. What is your favourite meal? – “I love shrimp… on a bed of rice.”
3. Beer, wine, or whisky? – “I like a vodka and cranberry martini, or a wine spritzer.”
4. What is your favourite movie? – “Ghost, with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze.”
5. What are you looking forward to this fall (other than your retirement)? – “I’m looking forward to enjoying the new family cottage up near Tory Hill. It’s just a rough shell now, but it’s beautiful.”
6. Heels or flats? – “Flats. I have enough trouble with my balance as it is.”
Taking over in the position of Advertising Manager is Sherri Stelmack. It’s been a trial-by-fire for her as she learns to work our unique computer system, and figures out who goes where as she lays out the pages. She found time to answer the 5 Questions. So here you have it: a brief snapshot of the person who is soon to be one of our most valuable assets.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “The actual beach itself. I often go down and read. I have a special hideout near the Leuty. It feels like I’ve been away. I also like to in-line skate and bike down there.”
2. What’s your favourite meal? – “I like sushi, and there are several good sushi restaurants here in the Beach.”
3. Beer, wine, or whisky? – I really don’t drink that much, but I recently got a book about wine and I’ve learned a lot about the various vintages. Friends and I get together and have wine tasting parties.”
4. What’s your favourite movie? – “Scarface. I like gangster/action movies, as well as the bizarre, off-beat cult classics and classic films.”
5. What are you looking forward to this fall? – “Figuring out my job for one! But I’m also looking forward to the cooler weather. This summer was too hot to be able to sit out and enjoy it. I’m an outdoors person, so I’m looking forward to spending more time outside.”
6. Heels or flats? – “Flats. I’m almost six feet tall. I’m already tall enough, I don’t need the height. I’ve knocked myself out before while wearing heels.”
Did you enjoy this article? Become a Beach Metro Community News Supporter today! For 50 years, we have worked hard to be the eyes and ears in your community, inform you of upcoming events, and let you know what and who is making a difference. We cover the big stories as well as the little things that often matter the most. CLICK HERE to support your Beach Metro Community News!