For this mid-summer issue of Beach Metro News we thought it might be fun to ask questions with a ‘summer’ theme.
Beach artist and member of the Beach Guild of Fine Art Anna Clarey is participating in a summer art exhibit at Essentia.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “I would have to say that walk-around the Ashbridges Bay park. You feel like you’re out in the country. There is a little strip of sand we call our ‘secret beach.” We like to take the dog there, and have picnics.”
2. What is your favourite summer meal? – “Vietnamese cold salad rolls. In fact we had it last night. You soak rice paper, then barbecue slices of tofu, wrap them all up in the rice paper with cucumber… it’s great.”
3. What are you reading this summer? – “The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I just finished the first four books in The Game of Thrones series, and I’m waiting for the Book Five.”
4. Are you planning any vacations this summer? – “We just got back from Pigeon Lake Resort in Bobcaygeon. We are planning to visit the Bruce Penninsula in August.”
5. Canoe, motorboat, or sailboat? – “Canoe. And I tried one of those stand-up paddle boards this summer. It’s awesome, and so easy. It’s probably good for your core muscles too.”
John McFetridge’s latest novel Tumblin’ Dice is sprinkled with Beach references. Read the review in the Aug. 28 issue of Beach Metro News. I thought I’d find out how this crime novelist is spending his summer.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “My front deck. Oh, I like the boardwalk and Kew Gardens and the library, and a lot of other places in the Beach, but my house is set quite far back from the street, and it’s a great place to sit and watch the world go by.”
2. What is your favourite summer meal? – “Seafood. I’m not much of a cook, but I’ve been learning to grill seafood. Yesterday I picked up some scallops at the Beach Fish House, wrapped them in proscuitto from Alex Cheese, and managed to not destroy them on my barbecue.”
3. What are you reading this summer? – “For non-fiction I’m reading The World At Arms, and for fiction I’m reading (former Beach resident) Dorothy McIntosh’s The Witch of Babylon.”
4. Are you planning any vacations this summer? – “Every summer my wife and I and our two sons spend a couple of weeks in Muskoka at a place called Shamrock Lodge, a kind of old-fashioned family-run place near Port Carling.”
5. Canoe, motorboat, or sailboat? – “I almost never go out on the water myself, but I like to watch the sailboats in Lake Ontario.”