For this segment of 5 Minutes – 5 Questions, I thought I’d turn to a couple of our long-time volunteers to get their ideas. Both are regular helpers on the Tuesday bundling days.
When not delivering hundreds of copies of Beach Metro News to businesses along Queen Street, Kingston Road, Gerrard Street, and Danforth Avenue, Paula Battenberg is a wedding minister and psychotherapist.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “I like Vi Vetha (the popular restaurant on Queen near the R.C. Harris Plant). My favourite dish there is the Angry Salmon.
2. What was the last movie you’ve seen? – “Men In Black III . I thought it was very good, and very different from the first two. It actually had a story line.”
3. What was the last book you’ve read? – “Journey of the Heart, by Archbishop Deloris Devan Seiveright.”
4. What is your favourite TV show? – “Criminal Minds. It’s a good story, with good actors… and good looking guys!”
5. Cat or Dog? – “Dog. I want one. A Morkie. They’re a cross between a Yorkshire Terrier and a Maltese. Absolutely adorable.”
Bob Norman’s father Bill volunteered for us for many years, and finally conscripted his son Bob to help out. ‘Conscripted’ is a good choice of words in Bob’s case. Bob is a full-time soldier with the Canadian Armed Forces. Often he sneaks into the office in full camo, and manages to get his papers out without us seeing him.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “Lick’s. And they won’t tell me where they’re going! (A condo building is planned for the site where Lick’s is now.)
2. What is the last movie you’ve seen? – “Safe House (an action thriller starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.)”
3. What was the last book you’ve read? – “The Litigators, by John Grisham… his latest.”
4. What is your favourite TV show? – “The Big Bang Theory.”
5. Cat or Dog? – “I just got a cat that I call Morris.”