Power expected to be restored later this afternoon to apartment building at 90 Eastdale Ave. after electrical fire in morning

Toronto fire crews at the scene of an electrical incident at 90 Eastdale Ave. on the morning of Friday, Dec. 3. Photo by Alan Shackleton.

Power is expected to be restored to an East York apartment building later today after an electrical fire on the morning of Friday, Dec. 3.

Toronto Fire was called to 90 Eastdale Ave. just before 10 a.m. for reports of smoke.

When fire crews arrived they discovered a problem had taken place in the highrise building’s electrical room.

Fire crews did not have to extinguish that problem as the building’s electrical system shut itself down and turned off breakers automatically. However, some arcing of electricity from the building’s main electrical panel was reported.

With power off, and smoke on the upper floors, many people decided to leave the building.

A TTC bus was at the site Friday morning for residents seeking warmth.

Fire crews were in the process of clearing smoke from the building late Friday morning.

Toronto Hydro is on scene making repairs.

Toronto Hydro spokesperson Russell Baker said power to the building is expected to be restored by approximately 3:30 p.m. today (Dec. 3).

UPDATE: Power is now on in the building with a generator. Power is expected to be fully restored later today, but the work must be approved by the provincial Electrical Safety Authority and they are not expected to be at the building until 4 p.m. today.


Did you enjoy this article? Become a Beach Metro Community News Supporter today! For 50 years, we have worked hard to be the eyes and ears in your community, inform you of upcoming events, and let you know what and who is making a difference. We cover the big stories as well as the little things that often matter the most. CLICK HERE to support your Beach Metro Community News!

3 comments

Dec4 still no elevators in operation or no lights in hallways what happen to the emergency lights in all ways no lights is it not a law

Yea it is Dave, take a picture and send to Councillor Bradford and Mayor Tory with c.c. to the CBC and Provincial Fire Marshal

Click here for our commenting guidelines.

Leave a Reply

*