This issue we invited Beach artist, photographer and novelist, Erwin Buck, to answer the 5 Questions. Buck will be participating in the Beaches Arts & Crafts Show, June 9-10 in Kew Gardens.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “The Leuty Lifeguard Station, no question.” (Buck has done a photo montage of a day-in-the-life-of-the-Leuty poster)
2. What was the last movie you have seen? – “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo… the Swedish version. I wanted to see how filmmakers would adapt the complex nature of the novels.”
3. What was the last book you have read? – “John Irving’s In One Person. It’s Irving’s latest. I have read them all (Buck cited A Prayer for Owen Meaney as a personal favourite.)
4. What is your favourite TV show? – “Hockey Night In Canada! The Stanley Cup Playoffs are the ultimate reality show!” (Buck mentioned that he was at Maple Leaf Gardens on May 2, 1967 to see the Leafs win their last cup.)
5. Cat or dog? “Dog. We had one up until two years ago. I loved walking along the boardwalk with him.”
Lillian Wauthier has been the driving force behind the very successful Acoustic Harvest. The roots music venue has been packing them in with a great line-up of entertainers for more than 15 years. Lillian took some time between meetings to answer our questions.
1. What is your favourite place in the Beach? – “I have had many occasions to house/pet sit for friends in the Beach, so have become quite familiar with this wonderful part ot Toronto. I’d have to say that all of the Beach is my favourite.”
2. What is the last movie you have seen? – “I like going to the Fox; the last movie I saw there was The Descendants, also The Iron Lady and Hugo.”
3. What is the last book you have read? – “Sometimes I have several books on the go. I recently finished Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I’m now reading Maria Nemat’s Prisoner of Tehran.”
4. What is your favourite TV show? – “As Time Goes By (with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer), the BBC News, and of course CBC’s The National.
5. Cat or Dog? – “I love cats and dogs, and have one of each; Oliver, a 14-year-old mini-Daschund, and Toby, my grey and white cat in his 21st year.”