Happy New Year. For this first installment of 5 Minutes – 5 Questions for 2012, I thought it might be interesting to ask the questions of the two people who are marking this January with significant changes in their lives – and the life of Beach Metro News.
Our editor Carole Stimmell is retiring after 16 years at the helm. While she says she’ll be around to volunteer for bundling and distributing days, she is looking forward to spending more time ejoying a life less-stressful. You can tell by her answers some of the things she’s looking forward to.
1. Your favourite place in the Beach? – “My front porch…. with a glass of wine.”
2. Hat or not? – “I am a hat person, but only for winter or parties!”
3. Beer, wine or whiskey? – “Wine, of course (Carole’s husband, Gord, is the wine writer for the Toronto Star), but there’s nothing like a good draft in the summer.”
4. Car, truck, bike, or the TTC? – “Car for sure… which I have to share with my daughter.”
5. Cat or Dog? – “Both.” The Stimmells’ dog, Mayhem, certainly earned his name when he first arrived on the scene 13 years ago. The rotweiller, pitbull, shepherd and husky mix has mellowed over the years, but he was always a formidable presence at their home.
6. Heels or flats? – “Flats, for sure. I’d kill myself in heels!”
Taking over in the editor’s chair is Beach Metro News’ former photographer, Jon Muldoon. Jon has come back to the Beach after spending a year in the wilds of northern British Columbia, enjoying all the outdoor activities there. I managed to drag him away from the rigours of his new position for five minutes to ask him:
1. Your favourite place in the Beach? – “The point out at the end of Ashbridges Bay, on a cold and sunny day in January or February.” Jon’s arrived just in time!
2. Hat or not? – “In summer, yes.”
3. Beer, wine or whisley? – “Beer, especially local microbrews, or Jameson’s on occasion.”
4. Car, truck, bike or TTC? – “The bike is my first preference. Walking is my second.”
5. Cat or dog? – “One of each.” I recently met Jon and Amanda’s new dog, Lucy, which they got from the pound in Smithers, B.C. Lucy is looking forward to getting to know Toronto.
Did you enjoy this article? Become a Beach Metro Community News Supporter today! For 50 years, we have worked hard to be the eyes and ears in your community, inform you of upcoming events, and let you know what and who is making a difference. We cover the big stories as well as the little things that often matter the most. CLICK HERE to support your Beach Metro Community News!