For this final column of 2011, I talked to our newly-elected MP, Matthew Kellway via email from his busy office in the House of Commons in Ottawa. This is what he replied.
1. Your favourite place in the Beach? – “On the lake, in my kayak… it’s a real treat to walk my boat down to the beach early in the morning, take a coffee out with me, and just bob offshore looking back at the beach.”
2. Hat or not? – “Not in the summer, with my bald head I should, but it leaves a funny tan line. In the winter, with my bald head, fashioned be damned!”
3. Beer, wine, or whiskey? – “Beer… red or dark no matter the weather or season.”
4. Car, truck, bike or TTC? – “I walk whenever I can. It’s really the only exercise I get. Biking is still too dangerous in this city in my view. If I’m headed downtown, it’s usually by TTC.”
5. Dog or cat? – “Dog. The four beagles we owned have a special place in my heart. We don’t have any pets now. Given how little time we spend at home, it never seemed like a fair thing to do to a dog.”
Then I phoned the man who sold us our house, Royal LePage Estate Realty Sales Rep., Alan Coulter. After briefly catching up on things, I posed the questions.
1. Your favourite place in the Beach? – “I like the end of Ashbridges Bay, out on the point.”
2. Hat or not? – “No hat. It ages me.”
3. Beer, wine, or whiskey? – “All of them! I’m Irish!!”
4. Car, truck, bike, or TTC? – “Car and mini-van. We’re planning a family trip to Florida over Christmas, a road trip down to the Keys.” (Alan is also an ex-motorcyclist whose travels down to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater in Pennsylvania inspired our own visit there later.)
5. Cat or dog? – “Cat. We currently have a long-haired grey-blue Himalayan named Kita.”
Well, that’s it for this year. Maybe I’ll come up with some new questions to ask in 2012. Any ideas? Email me: email@example.com